Here’s why training in mindfulness is so important for your health and wellbeing.
If you’ve been experiencing stress, anxiety, sleep issues, physical pain and you’ve tried all sorts of things, there is simply no better option than to undertake mindfulness training. By doing so, you’ll have an inner resource that you can draw upon for the rest of your life.
At the end of this 8-week course you’ll have a regular mindfulness practice that you can do all by yourself, you won’t even need an app to guide you, because you’ll know what you’ll be doing. It’s just one of the reasons why the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course is regarded as the gold standard in mindfulness training.
You’ll find that training in mindfulness teaches your mind to be in the present moment. So often we move through our daily life with our body doing one thing, and our mind off somewhere else completely. And while daydreaming may be pleasant every now and again, science has shown that when our minds wander, we typically feel less happy.
By training in mindfulness you’ll learn valuable skills such as how to work with strong emotions, how to cultivate more positive mood states, and importantly how to live with a busy mind.
Mindfulness has been defined as ‘paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment non-judgmentally as if your life depended on it.’ (Jon Kabat-Zinn) Because the quality of your life really does depend on it. You can either move through life at the mercy of your own mental states and emotional reactions, or you can learn to cultivate attention in such a way that allows you to enter into a wiser and more loving relationship with your whole life.
What is the background of the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course?
The 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR) was developed in1979 by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. Inspired by his own mindfulness practice, Kabat-Zinn wondered whether mindfulness practice could ‘help patients mobilize their own interior resources for learning, growing, healing, and transformation.’
And it did.
Since 1979 there has been an enormous amount of clinical evidence supporting the efficacy of Kabat-Zinn’s 8-week MBSR program in its ability to reduce stress, anxiety, decrease blood pressure, improve sleep, improve emotional regulation, memory, concentration, and increase self-compassion.
MBSR is highly respected within the medical and scientific fields and more than 24,000 people have completed the MBSR course since1979. If you’re experiencing stress, anxiety, pain, or sleep disturbances, this course will help you. Similarly, maybe you’re a health professional wanting to include mindfulness as part of your self-care routine, or perhaps you’ve dabbled in mindfulness or meditation over the years but you still haven’t got a solid personal practice. This course is for you.
Who will deliver the course?
The teacher for this course is Rachel Long. Rachel has immersed herself in the study, practice and teaching of mindfulness-based practices for over 15 years. She has honed her craft by teaching extensively in a range of settings, such as retreats, teacher training courses, workplaces and community classes. As a trained counsellor, Rachel has also taught mindfulness in clinical settings and trauma sensitive populations. With over 15 years of teaching experience, Rachel knows exactly what the obstacles and pitfalls to learning mindfulness are, and is expert at facilitating an easy, enjoyable learning experience.
Why should you do the 8-week mindfulness-based stress reduction course?
People who have completed the 8-week MBSR course report experiencing
- an increased ability to deal with stress and difficulties
- enhanced feelings of balance and wellbeing
- a reduction in physical and psychological symptoms
- an improved immune system
- more energy and productivity
- better attention, concentration, focus and creative problem-solving
- enhanced resilience, connection, meaning and purpose in their life
Best of all, you’ll lay a foundation within yourself that will support you for years to come. You will complete the course with a thorough theoretical and practical experience of mindfulness. You will be empowered with the skills, knowledge and experience to practise mindfulness on your own, without a teacher or an app – anywhere, anytime.
Science says yes to MBSR
The 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course is the most comprehensive and highly regarded mindfulness course around. It has been tried and tested for over 30 years in clinical settings with an abundance of research to back it up. (https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/mindfulness-based-programs/mbsr-courses/about-mbsr/mbsr-journal-articles/)
You will learn:
- the basic neuroscience and psychological underpinnings of mindfulness
- the physiology and psychology of stress
- how to develop more proactive ways to respond to stress
- how mindfulness makes difficulties and challenges workable
- how to engage more adaptive coping strategies
- interpersonal mindfulness skills to enhance personal relationships
- techniques for investigating emotional states and knowing your emotions
- ways to cultivate positive emotion states such as gratitude and self-compassion
- how to work with thinking that arises while practising mindfulness
- how to ‘be with’ the way things are in your mind and body
- how to maintain your own personal mindfulness practice
And much more
This course is excellent for:
- Anyone experiencing stress, anxiety, pain or sleep issues
- The absolute beginner
- The mindfulness meditation dabbler, yet to develop their own personal practice
- Anyone looking for a secular, evidence-based approach to mindfulness meditation
- Health professionals wanting to include mindfulness into their self-care routine
Your 8-week MBSR course consists of:
- 8 x weekly 2.5 hour classes
- one - day workshop
- an individual phone interview with your teacher
- 110-page course manual
- audio tracks of all the practices for your daily home practice
- individual feedback and support from your teacher
Each weekly face to face class consists of:
- formal and informal mindfulness practices
- body awareness training
- investigation of patterns of thinking, feeling and behaviour
- theory and discussions
- scientific rationale for the practice
Your tuition fee also includes a one day workshop
The one-day workshop is an intensive day of practice. It is designed for you to practise the skills learnt in MBSR across multiple levels of your life. The workshop also prepares you to apply these methods far beyond the conclusion of the program.
What others have said
When is this course?
- Tuesday evenings
- 15th May - 3rd July
- 6.30pm – 9.00pm
- One day workshop Sunday 24th June 10am – 4pm
How much is this course?
Early Bird $595 when paid by 26th April 2018
Full Fee $695
Places in this course are limited. Book early to avoid disappointment.
A discounted price or a payment plan is available for health care cardholders or anyone facing financial hardship. Please contact me to find out more.